Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Frank's Bad Day: An Introduction


Frank`s Bad Day started as a silly dark story about a guy who gets hit by a bus. Somehow I wasn`t content to let him lie in the street, and decided to send him on a trip through the afterlife. I felt it was necessary to express that this story bares no relation to my own theologic views. As an Evangelical Protestant, I do not believe in Purgatory, I think that faith in the sacrifice of Christ on the cross was enough to get us to heaven.

That said, I was drawn to writing about a different version of Purgatory after I read the C.S. Lewis book, The Great Divorce, about people who could take a bus ride from Hell to Heaven and stay in Heaven if they wanted to. Lewis used the story to make some very good points about sin and human nature and essentially that people choose their eternal destinations, it's not thrust upon them.

There was also a portion in The Christmas Carol that gave me an idea for this story. So I'm stealing from C.S. Lewis and Charles Dickens, which I'm sure you will agree are very good people to steal from. I really like writing fiction with dialogue because its like writing an essay but letting the thoughts develop through the story instead of just trying to convince someone by rhetoric.

One of the interesting things about this story is that I write it on mainly on my new phone (it's got a qwerty keyboard-like a Blackberry) and then I email it to Blogger when I have a chapter done. I had heard about a lady in Japan who wrote a book this way and thought it was a good idea.

Hope you like it, if not, I will certainly understand, but I may be tempted to think less of your literary taste...

(not really).

John

Click here to read part I

No comments: