Monday, February 20, 2012

Frank's Bad Day - Part XV

Frank woke up to a grey ceiling. He tried to sit up, but his body explained to him in a very succinct way that getting up was not an option at this time. He let out a sound somewhere between a groan and a whimper and closed his eyes tight waiting for the pain to subside.

Leslie's voice came from somewhere in the room,"I told you that would happen...but you didn't listen, did you?". There was a good-natured tone of teasing in her voice. "I also remember telling you to look straight ahead, not make eye contact. A sensible person would have determined that those instructions meant it was a bad idea to start a theological discussion with a demon. Do you remember any of that conversation Frank?"

Frank opened his eyes and turned his head slowly so he could see Leslie sitting next to his bed.

"Yes ma'am...I really screwed up and put everyone on the bus in danger. I'm really sorry."
"Glad to hear you may have learned something from your little adventure", she smiled a little and tilted her head slightly in a charming way.
"Was Charon angry?"

Leslie straightened up and took on a look of seriousness.

"Oh, he was furious! I have never seen him so angry before! Oh, and the language he used! I think he may have added six months to his time in purgatory just based on that tirade alone."
"You're putting me on."

Leslie's face grew very serious, "Nope. What made him the most livid was the fact that you  got to be the one to take Tarriq out. Though he did enjoy throwing Taariq from the bus, but you could see his disappointment. Such a sad moment. I think I saw his lip quiver and a single tear roll down his crestfallen face...so tragic".

Leslie bowed her head a little, and was silent so that Frank began to actually think she was serious, but then she began to shake a little. Finally, she could stand it no longer and began to giggle which soon turned into a full laugh.

"I'm sorry Frank. I couldn't help myself. Charon was a little annoyed at first, but the more he thought about you punching Tarriq in the throat, the happier he was. When they threw him off the bus, a cheer went up from almost everyone. It was a happy bus until we reached the distribution center. Then another demon picked up the lost souls and took them to their ultimate destination and we started our regular workweek."
"So where am I?"
"You're at SMI. You'll start orientation soon, in fact you may meet Mr. M today. He'll determine where to place you in the company, and explain how things work. You're gonna be in bed for a couple more days at least. I'll be by to check on you a few more times."

"Thanks Leslie. You're a good friend...I wish I had met someone like you on earth. Things might have been different."

Leslie smiled demurely and bent down and kissed Frank on the forehead.

"Now don't lay around here getting all sad and moody. You've got a new start to get things right. Bravery extends to more than just punching demons you know, sometimes its being man or woman enough to stop worrying. Just rest now and don't try to figure it out all at once."

Frank smiled and closed his eyes and layed back on his pillow. "Yes, Ma'am. I'll try to remember that."

"See that you do. I've had enough of you disregarding my instructions for one day", Leslie pulled up the blankets and tucked things in here and there and made the sort of fuss that makes all of us feel taken care of when we aren't feeling well.

Frank soon found that he was asleep in no time at all.

No comments: