Sunday, June 30, 2013

Frank's Bad Day Part XVIII

After an awkward silence M spoke. "What do you think?"

“I don’t know…is there some other way?"

"Not really. You were chosen for SMI instead of Purgatory because of your skills with people and because of your problems with people. The Heavenly Hosts have decided Purgatory is not an option. Have you read any of Dante’s works about the Underworld?"

"Yeah...but that’s just classical literature, that’s not scripture."

"True, but some of what Dante described is actually accurate in that the tasks you must complete are related to your own personal struggle with sin. Not to be trite, but the old saying, `the punishment fits the crime` is accurate when it comes to this. "

"Look, I know I wasn't a saint, and I could have been a better person…I get that. I could have been more involved with people, but I’m a little unclear on simply being overly self involved has brought me here with such an exhaustive plan.”

M looked hard at Frank. He seemed to be choosing his words carefully.
“Frank...do you know what the sin of omission is?"

"It’s when you fail to perform the commands of God"

"Very good. Nevertheless, there is more to it than simply that. When your actions don’t express positively what you believe, that is part of it. The first epistle of John says `how can you say you love God, who you don’t see when you don’t love your brother who you have seen?` You have been baptized, confirmed and went through all the motions but without producing any works positively expressing your beliefs. Frankly, this is why you have a sickly faith. You are fortunate you made it to SMI, let alone Purgatory. There’s nothing for it mate. You either do these tasks or you can take your place with those who have rejected God’s love in Hell...for eternity.”

Frank looked down and shook his head. He finally spoke, "Look, I know I don’t understand everything here, but isn't there some sort of appeal process or a different authority I can talk this over with? It’s obvious everything is well organized here, surely there is someone else I can talk to. This seems like way too much trouble for taking care of one guy who was a little selfish.”

“You are such a typical American. Everything is negotiable. Never taking ‘no” for an answer, trying to weasel your way out of everything. I thought you were different when first I met you but now I return to my first impression when I saw your file. I had a feeling this was a bad idea, I told Antonius you were not suited for this but he said that “They” wanted you here. Do you know who the Heavenly Host is?”

“I assume it’s the all of angels…I guess.”

“It’s a phrase we use to express the decision making body of Heaven. Which is really just the Trinity. The Almighty God made this decision, not some bureaucrat with a halo. You can’t negotiate with Him, you can’t fill out a form. You have received incredible grace ending up here. If you think you have been treated wrongly you are sadly mistaken. You have received more than you deserved and you don’t even have the sense to realize it and cry like some spoiled dandy that you are unjustly forced to do what you don’t fancy. “

Frank wasn't sure what to say. M stood up and began to pace the room.

“Let me tell you a story. I died about 150 years ago and for 10 years I wandered the earth in heavy chains as a result of my sins. Day and night, year after year I saw all my life could have been, seeing all the good I could have done, seeing all the suffering in the world that was a result of my selfishness or that I could have alleviated. I saw those that I did care for become more and more like me, heading towards this cold hell of regret that would never end. I prayed to God that I could have a chance to warn my friend and business partner even though there was no reason God should hear me. But he did. Antonius came to that region where I was trapped and told me I could warn my friend and three other spirits would help turn him back to God. I warned him of all the pain and suffering and how my selfishness had ruined my life and how he was in worse shape than I was. Soon after my visit and the three other spirits ministered to him, he changed his way. He turned his heart to God and opened his life to others. He became a new man. Even though I was still in this cold hell of regret, wandering on the wind, chained to my sins forever, I had some relief that I had helped my friend…”

M stopped at this point and looked down and was silent.

Frank tilted his head and squinted.

“Wait a minute. Are you Jacob Marley--the 'Marley' in the book?”

M looked up slowly.

“That’s correct my boy…”

No comments: