Monday, February 20, 2006

¿Por qué se va?

Here's a very short story I wrote as part of a composition in Spanish Literature class. What's different about this is that I wrote it in Spanish first and then translated it to English. I think it sounds better in Spanish. It also feels more Spanish, if that makes sense. Click the comments for the English translation...

En mi vida ella era el sol. Cada día se me aparecía, brillante y cariñosa, lista de hacer cualquier cosa que fuera necesario para satisfacerme. Me sentía como un rey, y ella era la sujeta única de mi reino. Ella me cubría con besos, abrazos y se me daba a comer cualquiera comida que me gustaba. Después de un año con ella, pensaba que mi sol saliera cada día para siempre. Como muchos reyes en mi placer y contento me olvidaba que la lealtad de los vasallos no estuviera garantizada.
“Querido, salguemos a un restaurante esta noche, estoy cansado, no quiero cocinar.”
“¿Qué? ¿Piensas que soy un rico? ¡Cállate chica!”
“¿Por qué me tratas así?”
“Te trato en cualquier manera que lo que quiera-eres la mujer, soy el hombre.”
En sus ojos, las lágrimas comenzaban de fluir. Ella me miraba fijamente. No dije nada. Después de cinco minutos que pasaban como un año, ella se fue para siempre. Ahora el rey vive solo con su orgullo y nada más…

-John

1 comment:

john_homan said...

“Why did she leave?”

In my life she was the sun. Every day she appeared bright and warm, ready to do whatever was necessary to satisfy me. I felt like a king, and she was the only subject in my kingdom. She covered me with hugs and kisses and fed me all my favorite foods. After a year with her I took it for granted that the sun would rise every day, forever. Like many kings, in my happiness and contentment I forgot that the loyalty of vassals is not guaranteed.
“Darling, let’s got to a restaurant tonight, I’m tired and don’t want to cook.”
“What? Do you think I’m made of money? Shut up woman!”
“Why do you treat me like this?”
“I’ll treat you any way I like-you’re the woman, I’m the man.”
In her eyes the tears started to flow. She stared at me intensely. I said nothing. After five minutes that felt like a year, she left forever.
Now the king lives alone with his pride and nothing else…