Monday, March 05, 2007

John's Nitrous Oxide Play List

I went to get a filling today. I have a really cool dentist, he has the poshest office you have ever been to. It has gourmet coffee, fresh cookies, bottled water and all other kind of cool amenities.

I like it all except for his obsession with Bruce Springsteen. I have some respect for "The Boss", but I don't particularly like him. He seems like if Bob Dylan was a little taller and from New Jersey.

So I brought my own music. As they put that magic airmask over me, and I started smelling the cold, minty smell of Nitrous, I hit play and was ready for essentially a nap while someone beat on my face.

Its really hard to get the right kind of music for being under anaesthesia. The Police make me feel a little paranoid, and ZZ Top is a little scary. Yanni and Enya work really well, but most other things just sound like a blurry Captain and Tenielle song that wont go away. Then when the dentist actually starts drilling, the music is not that hot unless you turn it up way high, which I really cant do anymore.

Today I was tired of messing with the music and just set it to play all. My player holds about twelve albums or more, so at least I would have some variety if nothing else.

When I started feeling the numbness in my feet and the general feeling of ease, I was listening to the Country Swing Stylings of Charlie Adams singing "In The Army Now." I've been giving Country Swing a real chance lately. This is a mix of jazz, big band, and classic country music. Its happy, doesn't take itself too seriously and I love a good steel guitar. This is a much different and better kind of country music than the pop country stars like Garth Brooks or Shania Twain.

After that, the drilling started in earnest. For this time, the MP3 player started playing "Faint" by Linkin Park from the "Live From Texas" album. Some people dismiss Linkin Park as EMO rap, but I think they have some real talent and inventive lyrics. The hard guitar, heavy synthesiser and rap went perfect with the drilling noise.

After the filling was done, I had to lay there for about five minutes as I breathed Oxygen to clear my head. During this time, I listened to the Bob Marley and the Wailer's classic hit, "All In One." Classic happy music and so incredibly mellow. The album name is "African Herbsman", which leads me to believe it may have been inspired by more than just growing Oregano and Marjoram in the sun.

-Johnito

4 comments:

princessmoe said...

Exactly how much nitrous did you receive? Loved the giggle.
moe

john_homan said...

The usual amount...the world became a dim, fuzzy,happy place. I floated amongst bunnies and festive groundhogs playing twister while squirrels played backgammon with insurance adjusters.

It was a happy place.

johnito

Anonymous said...

HEY JON I DID NOT READ THIS BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD MESSAGE YOU ANYWAY HA HA HA CHEK OUT SOME SUBLIME HELLS YEAH STAY BLACK

Anonymous said...

HEY JON CAN YOU HOOK ME UP WITH ANY HOT FRIENDS ON THIS BLOG THINGY THIS IS DEVIN AND I DID NOT READ YER STUFF CUZ I CANT READ HA HA HA CHECK OUT SUBLIME MAN PEACE