Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Gifts Come From Strange Places.


10:00 pm-My head is thumping like a 24 inch kick drum .
I take two strangely shaped prescription pain relievers with an 
impressive sounding name. After offering my legs as a source of 
heat to the red-headed love of my life everything goes wonderfully grey.

2:00 am-Awakening slowly from a dream of the barely lit truck stop
on the East side of Fort Wayne, I lay in the dark thinking of
everything and nothing in particular.

It’s been so many years since I lived in those wide lonely views
of the West. I never awaken any longer to the snow capped 
Cascades framing my view to the West. Nor have I smelled the morning dew 
on the sagebrush that rolls into the horizon of the Eastern Desert, 
the view dotted by the Juniper trees with their gnarled branches for more 
than twenty years and the painted hills. In a landscape like that, the immense size  
of the world and the palpable existence of divinity walk hand in hand.

But as I lay in the dark watching the colors of black, grey and navy
on the ceiling of my room, morphing with the movement of the
odd branch in the wind or car in the street I feel those same feelings
return that my beloved vistas brought when I was younger.

The utter loneliness of this moment brings a Western-sized peace. 
Even though I hear the breathing of someone next to me and the 
sounds of a world outside, I am as fulfilled as the night I slept under 
the stars on top of a desert mountain. 

We built a fire, listened to ZZ Top as loud as the batteries of my 
JC Penny boombox would permit, yelled into the night because 
no one was within 30 miles to complain and yet the cold silence 
laughed at us and remained as all encompassing as I had ever 
known it in my short 16 years.

Blaise Pascal said that all men’s troubles from not knowing how to 
sit still in one room. I don’t know how, but in my heart tonight I 
have found the vastness of the world still existing in one room 
and the peace of my Saviour making the darkness warm.

No comments: