Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Post Election Post















So its the day after the big presidential election and most of my friends in conservative Indiana are bummed out. I haven't even darkened Facebook or Twitter, but I've actually been off of social media for the last month. I'm not going to lie to you, I'm disappointed, I wanted the other guy to win. However, I wasn't really crazy about either of them, so I've actually been disappointed since the primaries that we had to have such polar opposites to choose from. If only there was some super rich billionaire that wanted to fund moderate  candidates for national offices, then there could be real change, (sorry-couldn't help myself, but it would be cool if that was true). Some of my friends are really taking it hard. I'm feeling a little better about it after I had some time to think about it.

The thing is this: the majority of our time living day to day has very little to do with the government. When we get our focus entirely on the macro view-on national politics, we get more obsessed with things that rarely affect us like the people and events here on the ground. The micro view of our lives is more realistic, the day to day people places and things affect us more profoundly than any president. Yes, all of the people that said the world will go to Hell in a Hand basket after this election could be right. But unless you are either leaving the country (quitters-ain't got no use for 'em!), or joining an armed resistance movement,(that's a bad idea in case you don't get sarcasm), you just need to live your life the best you can to help those people around you. Only having a macro view causes you to be useless on a day to day micro level. Its like living your life looking through the wrong end of binoculars and wondering why you can't tie your shoes.

I remember being obsessed with national government during the Clinton years. I've written letters, made phone calls and kept an eye on every piece of news coming across the wire and I can tell you it only leads to fear and unhealthy obsession, and never brings real change. Most of the time it's jousting at windmills. Sure, the government has the ability to affect your day to day life, things can get worse, but probably not as bad as the fear mongers in the media would tell us. We seem to forget some times that there are people who want to make us do their bidding or get our money by scaring us.

What I have learned from studying Spanish and Latino culture is that another way to look at the world is to put personal relationships first; look to your family & friends for your support and don't count on the government to be your salvation. In the end the most useful thing to do is love your friends & family, to enjoy life like you always have and to do the good that you can where you are at. Its a much better way than to let fear and hate rule your life.

So like the man said, "Now everyone shut up and get a life!"


No comments: