Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving to a Special Person

This Thanksgiving I want to express my thanks to God for bringing a person into my life: Barb True. Its her birthday also-so it seemed like a good time to do this. I wanted to write a poem, but I just am unable to produce any poetry at this point-just a little lame alliteration   

She may be my wife's maternal aunt, but I consider her to be family just like she was related by blood. Barb is one of those rare people that you like them the from the moment you meet them.

Not only does Barb show her incredible intelligence by loving me like family, she has this way about her where you can imagine what God's love is like by watching how she treats those around her. She has an a serious intention to love her family and friends any way she can. 

I have known her since 1989. In that time, I have seen her bring people into her house to live with her, I have seen her sacrifice time and money for others. When her parents became sick and were suffering from dementia, she cared for them like she was the mother, giving up a great deal for them. 

No, she is not perfect. She does not have a halo. I know there are people that she is not crazy about, people that irritate her, just like the rest of us. Also, it pains me to admit this but I am fairly certain that I have heard certain phrases escape her mouth from time to time that were not something I remember learning in Sunday school. When people irritate her, many times its because they aren't treating her family or friends right, or are just plain selfish. I guess I almost don't consider that a fault, because it simply expresses her love for those that are dear to her. 


One of the reasons I am writing this is because of one of her faults. I don't think she  appreciates herself for the gift she is to the rest of us. She is affectionate, funny, intelligent and a beautiful person that I would step in front of a bullet for. She has made my life, and the life of so many people around me better. 

For that I am truly thankful that she is part of my heart-family and one of my forever friends. 

Happy Birthday Aunt Barb. 

No comments: