Friday, November 09, 2012

Live From Daryl's House - "I Can't Go For That"

As a teenager in the 80's I was a HUGE fan of Hall and Oates. I had every
album I could lay my hands on. I remember bringing a cassette of the album
H2O to church one night during youth group. I wasn't trying to start anything
I just planned to listen to it in the car with my friend David while our folks
stood around and talked.

Anyways, the youth group leaders made us listen to the song "Maneater" and
have a meaningful discussion about the dangers of Rock and Roll and we were
all annoyed, quiet and sullen about it. Having been a youth pastor, I have
been in that kind of situation, but I never did it about music.

Since I'm already this far into getting into trouble, I'll go further, it's not good
to leave something only done half-way. Just pointing out that you think something
is evil is of absolutely no use in changing people's behaviors, especially adolescents.
Change must come first from a change of heart, not because the outward disapproval
of some authority figure. The truth of the matter is that the outward disapproval from
figures of authority is a great way to make people want to do something even more.

As an adult, I listen to a wide range of types of music and artists. I do watch
the lyrics and don't listen to just anything, but I also let my conscience be
my guide and try not to take things too seriously.

There is a story of Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart railing against the group
The Police for the song "Murder By Numbers" as decadent and evil.
When you read the lyrics, you find out it's tongue in cheek and is talking
about how easy it is for governments to kill people.

The lyrics for the song below are vague, and don't tell you what the "That" in
the song actually is. It's really an R & B version of Meatloaf's song "I Would
Do Anything For Love". Both songs are really the same joke and shouldn't
be taken seriously.

What I do take seriously about the song below is that it is very pretty, the
arrangement is lovely and the musicians are all very skilled. I feel good
when I listen to the music.




No comments: