Tuesday, June 08, 2004

No Sharp Pointy Things...

I hate packing to go through security since 9/11. This from a man who collects pocket knives and carries 2 most of the time. No multi-tools, no swiss army knives, no japenese steel spyderco, it's enough to make a guy feel naked, and of course the 12" KBar Marine combat knife is sulking in the bottom of my footlocker along with the flare gun-sorry guys.

This is the more redneck side of my personality. I am putting one knife-my $13.95 4 blade victorinox swiss army knife in my checked bag along with a pair of needle nose pliers, that is the extent of tools. But when I am in Mexico, it stays in my "utility" bag in the backpack.

Here's a list of other things that I refuse to leave the country without:
-duct tape(small pocket pack)
-parachute cord(25')
-AA Maglite
-Wire Ties
-whistle
-compass (I have *NO* sense of direction)
-matches
-lighter
-55 Gallon Black Garbage Bags
-Ziplock freezer bags
-Red Bandana
-dental floss
-Cherry Almond Clif Bars(the best flavor)
-Werthers Hard Candies
-Immodium AD

Survival is not just about being prepared, it's also about buying cool stuff and being smug. But in the end it feels more like just dragging alot of useless crap around.

Next Mexican Entry: The Day Has Finally Come

No comments: