Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Spoong Bob, Sting, and Honey Roasted Cashews..

June 16th pm entry

The way home from the clinic seemed to take forever. We were stopped once by a group of what appeared to be Brahma cattle blocking the road, and then a very agitated skunk who walked slowly tail up in the air like a flag in front of the van. I was starting to feel a little better coming into town and then when I got back to the hotel and waves of nausea hit again.

They were going for tacos again. It just was not even possible to eat another taco. It was so late, none of the other restaraunts were open. I was not only tired, I was sick, hungry and cranky and had just been overloaded with everything around me. I think I managed not to say anything rude to anybody before I got to my room.

I read once in my favorite book about traveling in Mexico, "The People's Guide to Mexico", that sometimes gringos get overwhelmed by being in a different culture and just need to be comforted with familiar things. So I took a hot shower, watched Sponge Bob on Nickelodian(pronounced Spoonge Bob in Mexico). Then I found a radio station playing American music, The Police to be exact, and dipped into my stash of junk food from the states. I highly recommend Honey Roasted Cashews and "Every Breath You Take" as a cure for a good snit. I know there are spiritual people that may read this with all sorts of more edifying ways of getting out of a bad emotional state, but at that point I could not have prayed if I tried.

The next morning I felt like a new man...Thank you Lord.



No comments: