Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Airport at Liberia

Thankfully, the road from Nicoya to the international airport in Liberia is on a federal highway and there were none of those bone crunching potholes that the country suffers from.

I was glad that I got there two and a half hours early because I had to really jump through hoops to get out of the country. First, I had to stand in line to pay my tourist tax of $26, then I had to check in with Delta, then I had to get something to eat, because Delta does not think coach passengers deserve a full meal for a four hour flight,(I'm a little bitter on this-I would have paid for the meal), then I had to go through immigration and security, finally, I was in the lounge ready to board the plane.

It was really rough being thrown into a pile of gringos again. We are so rude and self-absorbed that I felt kind of sad. I actually preferred the ultra-nice, leisurely pace of Costa Rica, that it was shocking to have to leave that cocoon while I was still in the country itself.

Finally, we boarded the plane and were greeted by the twangy Georgia accent of the flight crew from Atlanta and the cool breeze of air conditioning. Trading air conditioning for Pura Vida is not really a fair trade, but its nothing to scoff at either, especially because it will come with hot showers and real tacos.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: Atlanta Airport

No comments: