Saturday, August 05, 2006

Playa Samara

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

(Playa Samara)


It was sort of shocking to be in such a touristy environment. I heard English and German being spoken everywhere, and people charging four times the prices they charge in Nicoya.

First, I walked along the beach to check everything out and see if I could find my friends from the Institute who were supposed to have been on the bus with me, but did not show.

I had been hoping to collect some rocks while I was here, and this was the place. Not only rocks, but all kinds of pieces of coral washed up on the beach. I soon had to transfer my prizes from my pocket to a zip-lock bag.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

(Playa Samara)



I finally decided I was ready for lunch and went to a great little restaraunt that was right on the beach. I ordered a watermelon shake and a plate of rice and shrimp. It was all very good. I had a diet coke with lime after that and lingered.

Since my friends had not shown up, I was not sure how I would go swimming. I mean, Ticos are mostly honest, but I don´t think leaving my bag out on the beach with my money, my MP3 player and my camera is particularly wise. I decided it was time to do a little social engineering.

First, I left a big tip. Most people do not tip in Costa Rica, tips are included in the price. I still do, because I want to get better than average service and also I have this weird feeling of duty to be the nicest American that any Tico meets. I´m on a mission...

So, I walk up to the counter and pay my bill and talk to the owner. "Hola, I really enjoyed my meal. You have a great place here."
"Thanks, glad you liked it."
"Hey, my friends never showed up, and I need to find some place around town that I can stow my bag while I am swimming. Do you know any place where I might be able to leave my bag at?"
"Oh, you can leave it behind the counter with me. No problem at all."
"Oh, that´s great! Thanks a lot!"
"Con mucho gusto!"(You´re very welcome)

I finally got on the beach and smeared myself with bullfrog and jumped in the water. I tasted the salt on my beard, and the water was like a warm bath. No shiverring, no getting in little by little, the Pacific Ocean was my salty bathtub and I frolicked like some great hairy manatee.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

(Playa Samara)


First, I went out to about 5 feet high and jumped into the waves. I got salt water in my nose, and soon realized I could lose my trunks doing this. I came back closer to the shore and sat in the surf as it rolled up around me. I got sand in my pockets, and I did not care.

Later, I returned to pick up my bag, and this time had a fresh banana and pineapple shake,(outstanding), and followed up with another diet coke. I walked around town and looked at the souvenir shops and finally lined up for the bus.

I could feel the sun burn all over my body...

Bullfrog had let me down.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: The Bus Trip Back to Nicoya

No comments: