Wednesday, August 02, 2006

El Día de la Patrona

I walked into Cafe Daniela and there was almost no one in there, just me and two other patrons. Many of the businesses were locked up and there are very few people on the streets. The owner of Cafe Daniela confirmed my suspicions, he said that everybody is at home celebrating La Día de la Patrona.

Today is when Ticos celebrate their patron saint, La Negrita, the Virgin of Los Angeles. I wrote earlier about La Romeria, which is one of the things many people do to celebrate the virgin. Click the link above to also read the story of the Negrita.

The local news here reported that there has been over 2 million people that have made the romeria. In a country this size, that is a considerable amount of people. Some of the books that I read before coming here said that Costa Ricans are really not that religious, but I´ve decided to not agree with that.

At least here in Nicoya, and from what I can see on the news, people here are as religious as they are in other Catholic countries. Other religions are represented here as well. I attend a protestant church, but I know there are a lot of Mormans and a lesser number of Jehovah´s witnesses.

I have to leave the internet cafe soon, my madre tica told me I "debe estar en casa a las tres para ir a la fiesta en la casa de Cecillia",("you better be home by three so we can go to the family fiesta at Cecilia´s house!"). I´ll let you know how that goes, I´m looking forward to it.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: La Fiesta de la Patrona

No comments: