Thursday, August 03, 2006

Spanish Classes En-Vivo

Today after classes, the institute made us a great lunch of salad and sandwiches and then we took a ride out to a farm about 30 kilometers from Nicoya. The farm belongs to Teresa and Edgar. Teresa is the directora of the institute, and is a great teacher and really keeps an eye on the students to make sure we don´t have any problems with our families. When I was sick last week, she was on the phone to my host mother checking on me.

Teresa and Edgar´s farm is about an hour´s ride up and down mountains on some beautiful Costa Rican roads,(that is sarcasm in case you weren´t paying attention). Bumps aside, the view was outstanding. The mountains are dramatic and high, but covered with every shade of green, just touched at the top by the white mist of the clouds.

When we got to their finca,(farm or ranch, it´s called a rancho in Mexico), they showed us around. They have a building that they do not use that is home to hundreds of murcielagos,(bats). As we walked through the dark rooms, the bats flew above our heads. It was a little un-nerving, but they were fruit bats, so its not a big deal.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

(Fruit Bats Living in Teresa and Edgar's Ranch House)

I learned a little about bats here, there are as many bats in Central America as there are half of the number of total mammals. Out of 30 species, there are only two that feed by sucking blood, and only one that would attack humans. They normally eat fruit, and insects. They are very important to control the insect population, especially mosquitos who can spread many diseases such as Dengue Fever.

My two classmates went on a horseback ride and I chose to stay in town. I don´t like horses. I had one evil horse try to kill me when I was 16. Since then, I have come to the conclusion that they are large animals with the intelligence and disposition of a toddler, and we all know all toddlers are not nice...

So Teresa showed me around the little town and we sat down in a Pulperia,(the ubiquitous corner store, there is one within 1000 meters of any vague address here). I drank pop and I practiced my Spanish on all the people in the village.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

(Pulpería San Rafael-My favorite pulperia near the school. I stopped here most days for snacks or Coca Light-that's what Diet Coke is called in most of Latin America)

Schmoozing, joking and making new friends is probably my favorite thing to do in Spanish. I also tried a new soft drink called Maxi. Its a non-alcoholic malt soft drink. It was tangy and refreshing, it reminded me of Vernors Ginger Ale a little bit.

It was amazing to see how the pace in the village was even more laid-back,(I did not think that was possible), than in Nicoya, which is not a big town. But it was, everyone sat around, and shot the breeze and came to meet the new gringo. It was a very nice day.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: Graduation Day

No comments: