Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Bus Ride

As the bus got up speed and started heading out of town, I suddenly remembered all of those newscasts where a bus somewhere in Latin America plunges off of a hill and everyone aboard dies and then they put up a big Catholic shrine there with lots of candles.

I found that I had to exercise that new travelling skill I have developed since I have been in Costa Rica. I call it, "think-only-happy-thoughts". It works really well, but you have to really concentrate. I really honed it in the bathroom in my house, when I kept having these mental images of huge, scary spiders all hiding under the toilet. I have found it works good for a lot of things, at least until one of those things actually happens, then I don´t know what I´m going to do.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

I soon forgot about the fiery heap of metal at the bottom of the hill and enjoyed the incredible scenery. Being in this kind of countryside is like drinking peace in through your eyes. It is every shade of green, with huge mountains, valleys and rivers. There are little farms and lots of those hump-backed cows that seem so popular here, I think the hump is like a heat sink, thats just a theory. Then there are little pastel colored houses and schools and soccer fields in-between.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

The bell to ring the driver that you want to get off does not work, but everyone knows this special whistle that makes him stop. He stops anywhere, he also picks people up almost everywhere. People come on and get off the bus with big bags of groceries and bags of wheat, luckily, no goats on this trip though.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

I had travelled this road by car before and the potholes are incredible, but they weren´t that bad by bus. It sort of took the shock away. Of course the bus is probably the reason for the potholes, but thats another point.

One hour later, and I was at the beach.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: Playa Samara

No comments: