Sunday, July 30, 2006

102 Degrees

I had planned to go to the beach on Saturday. About 2 am Saturday morning, I had an inkling my plans would be changed. I woke up shivering, and then had to spend some quality time in my bathroom, which thankfully has been spider-free since I used the insecticide. I was bundled up in my flannel shirt, jeans, and Sponge-Bob Squarepants towel,(never forget your towel!).

Then the other problem started, my temperature rose to 102 degrees, and stayed that way for about three hours. With the continual trips to the bathroom, and the fever that had not budged over four hours even with Tylenol and Ibuprofen and a cold shower, I decided it was time to break out the antibiotics I had brought with me: Cipro-good for Anthrax and whatever else may ail you.

The rest of the day I was pretty miserable. I spent the day reading my 900 page novel and listening to Dave Brubeck on the MP3 player. I still had a fever but it stayed around 100 to 101 and never went back up to 102 again. I could eat, and I didn't have to spend so much time exposed waiting for the spiders to return.

My host mother kept checking on me when I told her I had not been feeling well. I told her thanks for being so concerned, she said, "Pues, preocupo.", which means, "well, I´m worried about you." When dinner came around she made me this huge bowl of chicken soup with boiled eggs, cilantro, carrots, noodles and zucchinini and rice in it. It was just the thing. I got a blanket and toddled off to bed and slept for about twelve hours after a little pharmaceutical help from Mr. Vicodin.

It meant a lot to know someone was worried about me, and that they would take me to the doctor if I got worse. It's also comforting to know that there are several medical clinics, pharmacies and a good hospital in Nicoya. Being sick is always rough, but being a few thousand miles from home makes it worse. I can´t imagine what I would do if I could not speak Spanish. I´d be miserable and no one would understand what was wrong.

So far today, my temperature has not been over 100, I went to church, and am out walking around. I´m not 100% yet, but I´m about 75% well.

Juanito

On the MP3 Player:"Never is Enough" by the Barenaked Ladies

Next Costa Rican Entry: Costa Rican Addresses

No comments: