Friday, July 21, 2006

Costa Rican Tacos and Patacones

Besides trying to learn Spanish and learn about Latino culture, I like to learn about food. I love to try all different types of Latino food. Yesterday in class, we talked about some typical Tico foods.

Of course, I have spoke about Gallo Pinto, the black beans and rice that shows up at every breakfast. But yesterday we learned about tacos and a dish called patacones, that is made with the plantain, a more starchy cousin of the banana. I´m a real hands-on kind of learner, so I headed to Cafe Daniella to check these out for real today.

The taco arrived, and was really different compared to Mexican tacos. It was a fried tortilla stuffed with shredded beef, which was good enough. Then it was topped with repollo (cabbage) and salsa de tomate and mayonesa, thats right, ketchup and mayonaise. I wouldn´t say it was the best taco I have ever had, but I liked it good enough. I´m not going to make it at home, that´s for sure.

The highlight of the meal was the patacones. The way they are prepared is that thick slices of plantain are fried in oil, dried and cut into smaller squares. Then they are mashed flat and fried a second time until they are crunchy. They are served with refried black beans and a little cheese. I´m a maniac for black beans in any form. These were great. They are both crunchy and sweet and the beans are salty. It was a very good combination-I´m hooked.

On the MP3 Player, "Linger" by the Cranberries

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: A Little Homesick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, John! I teach at the Career Center with Ted Smith. He sent me the link to your blog because I studied in Costa Rica (with Goshen College) in 1979.

Where do you live? In San Jose? --which barrio? I lived in Naciones Unidas in San Jose, which was a nice area, but my mom hated me walking through the other barrios to get there. I remember watching the rats from the bridge over a river in the next barrio over--they were the size of my house cats! You're right, walking is the easiest way around.

Later I was in Ciudad Quesada. Being close to Nicaragua, there were a lot of illegal aliens in that city. My host mother was the administrator for the local health clinic, and complained constantly about the strain on the clinic.

Which park is close to your school, Parque Central?

-Beth

john_homan said...

Hi Beth,

I live in a town in the western province of Guanacaste. The town is called Nicoya. We are about 1 hour from the ocean. It´s very lovely.

I haven´t seen any rats yet, but these 2 inch long cockroaches are really trying my patience.

Thanks for stopping by.

John