Friday, July 28, 2006

I´m Thinking of Telling People I´m Canadian, Ehh?

Really, I am.

It´s not because I´m not patriotic, or anything like that. I love my country and am proud of it. I just think that there are other countries in the world and I wish people would stop being obsessed with everything from the U.S.

It gets a little tiring people asking you so many questions about anything related to movies and music and any kind of media from the U.S. After a while, you start to feel like the richest kid in school. Do people really like you, or do they just want to hang out with you because you are rich? When I tell them I´m not that rich and this trip is on my student loan, they give me that look that says, "sure, whatever you say Gringo. You´re not fooling us. We know you´ve got a solid gold toothbrush and silk toilet paper."

Now, not everyone is like this, but there are enough people that it gets old real quick. I´ve often thought that the obsession the rest of the world has with the U.S. media is unhealthy because it makes them less proud of their own culture and arts.

So I´m now going incognito as Gordie McDonald, Ehh? I have to remember I´m from Cornwall, Ontario, I love hockey and eating donuts at the Tim Horton´s on the weekends.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: Another Bomba

1 comment:

john_homan said...

Thanks, Ehh?

It´s all good here, they have socialized healthcare, and everyone gets a cost of living raise twice a year, but its almost impossible to find a took or some decent bacon, ehh?

Gordy

Ohh Canada....