Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday Morning


San Blas Colonial Church in Nicoya


I woke up this morning to the sounds of roosters. In my room is a little window with a screen that is up against my neighbor's yard and they have chickens. I wasn't really sleepy so it was no big deal. I actually like that soft clucking noise that the hens make.

My host mother went out of town for the day, but her daughters are keeping me well fed. This morning I had my first desayuno tico (Costa Rican Breakfast. It started with a plate of fresh watermelon and fresh cut pineapple and a banana. That was followed by a plate of Gallo Pinto con Huevos Fritos-black beans and rice with two fried eggs. I had some toast and some really good coffee. I could barely move afterwards, but it stayed with me during a long walk around the town.

There aren't any squirrels here, but there are iguanas. I saw one enjoying the sun on the sidewalk, I offered him a little sunscreen but he said it was too late for him and to save myself. I saw one of his brothers a little later in the strangest place-he was on the roof of the catholic church.


One other thing I have noticed about Costa Ricans since I have been here is that they seem more reserved than Mexicans, maybe not as outgoing, at least on the street.

Well, that's enough for today. More tommarow after I start my first day of school.

Juanito.

On the MP3 player now-Red Garland, "Almost Like Being in Love",(That's right, I like Gershwin and am not ashamed of it.)

Next Costa Rican Entry: Campo

No comments: