Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hace Calor

Which is how you say, "its hot" in Spanish. Today, most of the town was without power for about six hours. I was starting to get used to just having fans, and then we did not even have those. I hiked all over town, once to the post office, and then to the bank to cash a travellers check. The bank must have had a generator, as I was greeted by that delicious feeling of refrigeration. I wanted to curl up in a corner and nap.

The school had no fans, my house had no fans, no one did. I decided to go to Cafe Daniella and see if they still had ice. They had both ice, and Diet Coke. Its called Coca Light here. I settled down to sweat for a few hours and try to get some homework done.

After a couple of hours there and a pretty good steak sandwich on baguette bread with some really good french fries, I headed for school. I found a corner where there was some breezes while I waited for classes to start and put my feet up, there was just enough breeze to make it feel nice.

After being in class for a couple of hours, the power came back on and the fans were back on. Tonight, after I got home, it started raining hard and has not let up. Now, it feels great out, or fresco.

After while, you get used to sweating a lot more, I take two cold showers a day, but by an hour later, I´m all sweaty. But it evaporates, and the deodarant seems to be working, at least no one has told me that I smell like a chancho,(slang for pig). The funny thing is that the word for deodarant here is matachancho,literally "kill the pig".

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: The Art Show

No comments: