Monday, July 31, 2006

In Praise of the Casado

Costa Rican food may not be as interesting as Mexican food, but its good, and normal and they do not skimp on the portions. When I am really hungry, and want more than a nibble, which is most of the time, I order a Casado.

Casado means literally married man, and its a good homestyle meal that fills most of the plate. Its generally not a bad deal. Today I ordered the casado con chuleta de cerdo, the pork chop lunch.

It came out with black beans and rice, a really tasty cold potato salad, some fried plantain chips and a large butterfly pork chop that was crispy on the edges.

I did not leave hungry, and actually did not have to fight the desire for the national dessert, Queque de Tres Leches, which I have had once, and it is outstanding.

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: La Romeria

No comments: