Tuesday, July 18, 2006

"El Gringo Legítimo"

Last night, after I finished my homework, I walked to the kitchen to get something to drink and join the family on the porch in the rocking chairs. They have people dropping by all the time. Friends, family, cualquier persona. They know everybody.

A new friend called out, "Aquí viene el´Gringo Legítimo´! ¿Cómo están cosas en Gringolandia?´ (Here comes the authentic, real Gringo-How´s everything in Gringo-land?) I have been called Gringo more times than I care to count. But it does not bother me. It´s their word for us. I actual like the moniker, "El Gringo Legítimo", maybe I should get a starter jacket with that on the back...

Being the resident gringo, I am always called on for a larger world view, especially about politics. Ticos love to talk about politics. They talk about immigration, CAFTA and war, their new president. I never have to go far to find someone who wants to talk. Its so much slower here. Everyone takes the time to sit and talk about nothing and everything.

On the MP3 Player:"Man in a Suitcase", by the Police
Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: A Little TLC From Gringolandia

No comments: