Monday, July 17, 2006

Living in the Tropics

When I got out of the shower last night, down near my foot was a 1 inch long cockroach. His antennas were going this way and that, like he was trying to decide what to do next. Before he made his next move, I killed him with my flip-flop. My first night here, I had about a 2 inch long spider on the wall. I have seen lizards around the houses, besides the big iguanas that walk around the park.

I´m not saying this to scare anybody, but these things are really common for living in the tropics. The difference is that they aren´t taking over things. My host family is very clean and neat and everything is perfect. But things happen in this region of the world. When I lived in California, everyone had roaches. When I´ve been to expensive hotels in Mexico, there are still roaches and geckos in the rooms.

What I´m getting at is that if you are ever thinking of coming to a country in the tropics, just get used to these sort of things. The difference is that in a good host home, like mine is, these things should be now and then, not an infestation where bugs scatter everywhere when you turn on the light.

As a whole, Americans are way too squemish about these things. The rest of the world is used to seeing a bug now and then, we just need to suck it up a little so that we can enjoy all that visiting a fabulous country like Costa Rica has to offer.

On the MP3 Player:"The Last Time" By Gnarls Barkely

Juanito

Next Costa Rican Entry: Costa Rican Chinese Food

No comments: